How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  25 years in practice.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I begin splitting assets?

Customer Question

How do I begin splitting assets?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Kirk Adams replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Are you spitting assets in an estate or divorce or something else?

Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. It seems to have been moved to the Canada Law category. You're in Canada, right? Which province?

And we'll need a lot more information to find your best expert. In what context are you splitting assets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger and Ulysis, It's for divorce in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have produced several lists of assets and numbers what's next?
Ulysis I take it your in the US does that mean you can talk to me over the phone about legal issues? My lists are old school on paper and they're not here for me to take a should Inproceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the numbers at the moment I was wondering the process after you get them?
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I'm a Canada Law expert, I'll be helping you.

Should I assume that you don't have a lawyer?

What are the totals numbers for assets and debts?

Are you up to date on your income tax returns?

Are you in court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ulysis101, I had Ab Legal Aid Lawyer but I recently requested a new one because I didn't feel he was doing anything but helping the father of my children stall. We are up to date on our income tax returns. I'd been trying to file as seperated for 4 years he suceeded in tripping me up 3 years in a row this year I succeeded. This month I started receiving checques in the mail for universal Child tax credit as well as GST . I called the CRA to get clarification and was passed around three different people and got three different responses the last one suggested that the monies not mind that the father of my children should be getting that money now getting these checks offered me the chance to secure shared accommodation for the month of June I've been reaching out to supports AB works, Sheriff King, AHS. My knew outreach worker advised to call Ab works and emergency child services. I spoke with a representative from Southern Alberta Child services I was quite upset fearing for the safety of my children. I am a victim of emotional, mental, financial, and physical abuse. She told me she was sending the mobile response unit with someone to talk with me she sent three police man city cops and they apprehended me and took me to the hospital the South health campus in Calgary they certified me now I have forms I'm terrified it's the Ukrainian Festival here in Calgary that my daughter is Participating in and I'm being held in a criminal. The woman's name is ***** ***** she advised my children and my husband not to answer my calls I'm going stir crazy here . We're not in court yet but I think it's going to be soon. When I'm out I'll crunch the numbers and get you something on paper. Is this app for real or will I be taken advantage of again...? Can all the experts see these words?
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Other experts on the site can search for it, but since you have me locked in as your expert they'd have to search for it. And I don't know why they would.

I can't replace your lawyer. I just don't want you to think that this site will act as your legal counsel. I can give legal information, and recommendations, but obviously I can't represent you in court or give you the kind of legal advice you can rely on in court, for a couple of reasons: first, we're anonymous here; second, I'm not licensed to practise in Alberta (and there aren't any Alberta lawyers among the experts here to my knowledge).

So if you qualify for legal aid I hope that you get another lawyer on board as soon as possible.

This site is absolutely legit. There are several lawyers here, LegalEase and I are each very experienced in family law.

If you think that you'd like to get better value for your money then you should consider getting a subscription to the site, which will give you a certain number of questions per month for a flat fee. We experts aren't site employees so I'm not trying to sell you on anything.

Having said all of that, do you have any more questions about how the site works?

Keep in mind that you've made a deposit for a single question thread. While I'm happy to help you as best I can, I can't spend hours on a single thread or answer multiple legal questions in the same thread. The site is here to make money, and so am I of course.

It sounds like you're in a bad spot right now. Frankly, I don't think you should have dismissed your lawyer, at least until you had another lined up with Legal Aid's permission.

So for now, what would you like to discuss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ab Legal Aid said it would take 4-6 wks to get another lawyer. I don't think it's any coincidence that right after my request to change council. He got a job and Social Services stepped in. This is how he plays his games. I don't understand this thread stuff nor how Im being charged. Perhaps I shouldn't use it as I'm not clear on how I'm being charged
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Well, you've put down a deposit with the site. That money is still being held by the site until we conclude our discussion on this one thread. As long as you don't start any new threads, you won't be charged anything further by the site.

If you want your deposit refunded, you can ask customer service at any time. If you want to take that money and put it towards a subscription, that might be better for you.

Or if you're not comfortable with all of this then that's fine too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed up for a free wk with a $76 deposit your only the 3rd one I've chatted with....I'm under the impression it's free for the first week is there fine print that there is a charge for each expert I speak too?
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I'm not a site employee, and I have nothing to do with creating or selling memberships.

When you have a membership you get a certain number of questions. The expert gets paid when you rate a thread positively. I don't know how many questions you get or over what period, I can't see your account details.

You have to contact customer service and clear this up before you accidentally spend more than you were expecting, which is easy to do.

Please take the time you need to verify those details, then come back to me any time.