How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  25 years in practice.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated over a year and a half. We are still

Customer Question

I have been separated for just over a year and a half. We are still in court but as of right now it is 50/50 custody. Before the separation we travelled extensively as a family (nine year old and twelve year old). We are located in Ontario. A year and a bit ago my ex provided a letter to cross the border into the states from Ontario which is recommended. She refuses to do so now unless I put my passport number on the cross border letter. Shes really just using that as a way to block a trip because she knows I don't trust her with my personal info as she filed false child abuse claims (CAS referred to it as a malicious attack) false abuse claims, and when I was in the states with the kids the week before we separated she filed a false child abduction claim which was dismissed by the police and I was unaware she did this. (I believe from text messages she was trying to cause me issues crossing the border when we were crossing into Canada.) The police report was also pretty damning and showed she was trying to file a false report so they would say I couldn't go back to my house. Needless to say I do not feel comfortable with her having my personal info. The sample travel letter she keeps referring to is on the Global affairs website and states that it is not a legal requirement to travel with their letter. It also says the letter is to be revised for different situations. I also have an email from the head of the family division at global affairs Canada telling her that the passport number is ***** needed. I also have emails from Canadian border services, Justice Canada, and US border patrol all stating the requirments and that a passport number from me is not required. I have also worked with Global affairs Canada to find a way to comfortably meet her unreasonable request which is by putting my passport number on the letter but when she signs her lawyer can block out the passport number but confirm it is on there. She refuses to due to costs and now she says she will not sign it unless she has the passport number in her hands. Is it not somehow illegal to force someone to provide you with personal info by holding family vacations over our head? Is there someway around this? Is it not a violation of the code of ethics in some way for her lawyer to recommend blocking family vacations to force personal info out of me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.
This is a duplicate of the same question, essentially? We've started on the other so let's continue there. You should ask customer service to close this thread and not count it towards your subscription question limit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry thought I put the first one in the wrong spot. It wasn't under Canadian family law

Related Canada Family Law Questions