How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100043
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a question regarding PR renewal. I am a Canadian

Customer Question

Hi. This is a question regarding PR renewal.
I am a Canadian citizen living abroad with my wife and daughter since 2011.
My wife is a PR holder. Her PR card expired at the end of April 2016.
Reference CIC minimum requirement to retain PR status is 2 years in Canada. However, if the PR holder is living with a Canadian spouse outside of Canada, the number of days abroad count towards the minimum stay requirement.I have filled the IMM 5444 and wanted to ask if this is treated as a normal submission to Sydney NS even if I am sending it from outside Canada ?Regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is a normal submission. She has met the requirements as she is accompanying you so there is no concern. She doesn't have to be in Canada to be able to renew her PR card.She will have to enter Canada to receive the card.Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client. I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the clarification.
So does this mean I should go ahead and submit the IMM 5444 ?
Currently, the supporting documents we have are:
1. 2 forms of ID
2. Marriage Certificate
3. Copies of all pages of my passport for the past 5 years
4. Proof of residence in Dubai
5. Copy of my citizenship card
6. Copy of my employment contract in UAEIs there anything else that needs to be added ?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You should go ahead and submit the documents. You are able to prove she was with you and you are able to prove you were in Dubai so you will satisfy the issues that need to be answered fully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned that once the new PR card is issued, she has to travel to Canada to pick it up ?
What if I pick it up for her when I am visiting Toronto ?
How long does the renewal usually take ?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if you can pick it up when you are traveling to Toronto or not. You would have to ask at the call centre.It takes about three months.

Related Canada Family Law Questions