How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101057
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having a few issues with Alberta Maintenance

Customer Question

I am having a few issues with Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Program. 1) I pay ex-spousal support to California in USD and MEP refuses to use the court ordered date for determination of the exchange rate. This is costing me hundreds of dollars each month in over payments. 2) In addition, they seem not able to recognize ex-spouse direct payments that fall within the court order beginning date, even though I have provided MEP with documented evidence of such. This results in MEP considering my payments to be in arrears, and thus garnishing more of my wages than ordered by the California court.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried going back to the California court to deal with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No......My California attorney suggests handling it through an Alberta attorney...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I didn't answer earlier. There was some glitch and your question never appeared on my list when you replied.The reason why is that MEP is doing this is they just enforce orders. And so they either need your ex-spouse to agree with what you want or they need an orderIn other words they cannot take your word that you are not in arrears. I cannot at all understand why they refuse to use the correct date for the exchange rate but you will need an order to get rid of the arrears and to clarify what exchange rate they must use.If you want to retain a lawyer in Alberta then you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.The number is:1-***-***-**** or***-***-**** in Calgary