How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100002
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am Irish. Can I leave Canada with my Canadian daughter?

Customer Question

I am Irish. Can I leave Canada with my Canadian daughter?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking but moving a minor child to Ireland without the consent of the other parent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will hopefully have consent. But he changes his mind a lot. I'm just wondering if he doesn't give consent, can I still leave?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
No.That would be parental abduction. You need the consent of the father or else a court order giving you permission to do this or else you cannot take the child to live in Ireland. It has nothing to do with citizenship but it is about moving the child from the child's habitual place of residence and away from the other parent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would I need to do to get a court order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he does give consent can he change his mind in a few years and make me bring her back to Canada?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You would need a lawyer to assist you as this is very complicated and it is very hard to convince a court that you should be able to move the child if the father doesn't consent. In fact you very well may not be able to do this so you should retain an experienced family lawyer that has a lot of experience in mobility rights cases.If he consents and changes his mine a few years better he will have to go to Ireland to convince a court there that moving her back is in her best interests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was arrested but not charged for something serious and that's why I want to leave. I worry about my daughters safety.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Then it may be the court will agree but as a layperson you are at an enormous disadvantage without a lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I sincerely ***** ***** works out for you and your daughter.

Related Canada Family Law Questions