How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101420
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been common law with my spouse 8 years, he

Customer Question

I have been common law with my spouse for over 8 years, he has been violent with me and i had to report it after several times of not doing it. We have a carehome, all under his name, and there is a no contact order against him. He wants to kick me out in the street because he has the license under his name. I do not want to leave my home.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I have been in the home all together for 2 years with him and we always had alternate appartements together for some privacy. The health care government approved business have come to tell me that to gentlemens living with us , five of them are able to stay but his license would be suspended until the no contact was lifted, he pleaded guilty to the abuse with bodily harm, and then got a lawyer and changed his plea to not guilty and wants me out..The gentlemens are under my care and are very satisfied with my love and hard work which i have done for 8 months since i got back to marry him.We were to be married this month and nod i have our marriage certificate.. i am scared of loosing all i have worked for for us for the last 8 yearsplus
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear this.What province are you in please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.In Saskatchewan the law common law spouses have the same rights as married spouses do. That means he cannot force you out of the home as it is your matrimonial home. It makes no difference at all that the house is in is name. You have the same right to occupy the home that he does.As well the value of all assets will be shared regardless of whose name is ***** ***** So don't leave but do see a lawyer as your best next step.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
But please let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you very much, I have had this address since 2009, but have traveled and opened a business in Mexico for our retirement, a little bistro, its on YouTube under Customer..He says he was not involved with this even though he invested in us for 8 years now, i am confused about what proof i need to show that my main residence has been here in Saskatoon, he says i am in no way part of his life because i left to make our futur better, but all my mail, taxes and phone calls are all about this home. Now that he asked me to come back for financial reasons i had to leave it all. I really thought thathe was honorable and his violence behind doors was over..i feel scared but i am a very good person who beleive it all.. Now i am made to look like the person who wants it all which is not true.. This situation is very complicated..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son also lived in the home between 2009-2011 and he was 8 and saw the violence unfotunately, i had to send him to his dad until i moved to mexico where both my mother and sister live.Ihad to fight to get my boy back because his adoptive son was very dangerous for us at that time and that is why we both decided to built in mexico while he could deal with his also violent son..ireallywant to make sure the carehome stays safe for the guys here so i am very confused on the right thing to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no money to defend myself, he has cut me off all our joint accounts in the last few days.i am very isolated here for i am from France and have no one here
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
As there are assets you can likely get a lawyer to assist you even if you cannot provide a substantial retainer.You may be able to get spousal support on an urgent basis. So don't hesitate to have a face to face consultation with a family lawyer at once. Many spouses find themselves in your situation and family lawyers know that and can work things out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you, I know this but i must say that these mental health gentlemen are on the line, so if i go to court and prove the abuses, he will loose his licence , which means 5 men loose 10 years of their routine, life and comfort, their lives over this..This is why i am afraid to fight and he knows how i feel about this and so will 5 innocent lives, this is such a precarious situation. I could not live with myself knowing these men lost it all over his choices...or mine. we also have two cats which are rescued.. i want to do the right thing
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
But now the right thing is getting yourself a family lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for your time. have a nice evening..
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You too.I sincerely ***** ***** works out for you.