How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  25 years in practice.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter turns 19 march 11 this year and is in college

Customer Question

Hi , my daughter turns 19 march 11 this year and is in college til june of this year. She plans to move to a different city in newfoundland to continue studies in law administration for two more years. I have been paying child support for quite some time now and is wondering if i have to keep paying support ( $1762.00 per month ) while shes waiting to go to school again and should i be paying this much . Also, her boyfriend lives with her now and will be while she goes to school.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Does she live at home during the school year or at school during the school year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is at a different school right now and will be living at her moms home from june til this sept when she will be starting a new school in a different city. the fact that her boyfriend will be living with her leads me to believe that i shouldnt be paying for all the living expences which will be a lot. I think $1762 in child support per month is too much to pay although i dont know how much her tuition will cost and they wont give me any info as i did request.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

The way this generally works is that if the child lives at home during the school year then you pay the mother whatever is set out in the table for your province based on your income.

If the child lives away at school then you normally pay 1/3 of that amount to reflect the fact that the child is only living at home for 1/3 of the year.

So you would pay during the summer and you would pay the full amount but then starting in September and going forward, each month you would pay 1/3 of the regular amount.

Does that clarify the law?

Related Canada Family Law Questions