Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I 't know what I am entitled to in a common law seperatation…

Customer Question
I don't know what I...
I don't know what I am entitled to in a common law seperatation (we were engaged, lived in the same home for over 1 year). I sold my house to move in, and at his/our suggestion quit my job to start a business (as such as the business grew, we lived off his income) now he wants me to leave (I am staying with my sister) and he is in our him with our dog,all my things and our furniture. I also believe he was having an affair. He is a cop ( a well known bully-cop) and I don't know what to do or what i am allowed to ask for.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
2/26/2016
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago
Brandon Ament

Hi Celene,

What province are you in?

Alberta
I feel like I am being bullied
I don't know my rights
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

I suggest that you meet face to face with a family law lawyer in Alberta. He will be able to properly advise you on your rights upon the separation.

I'm sorry that you feel bullied. You should not be pressured into making any sort of decision that can have long lasting effects

But am I entitled to anything because we were common law?
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

you can contact the Law Society of Alberta at this link http://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/public/lawyer_referral.aspx

You can receive a free 30 minutes consultation with a lawyer

on separation, if you were determined to be in a common law relationship, you are entitled to spousal support but not property rights. However, it is not that straight forward and depending on the facts of your situation a lawyer might be able to assist you in finding a constructive or resulting trust.

Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

Are you on title to the house that you both lived in or is just his name on title? Did you pay anything towards the house?

I am not on title but we shared joint accounts so all my pay went to wards the mortgage. I also took the money from the sale of my home and put it into our mortage/account. I also deposited $10,000 that I borrowed from my parent sot put into our join account
In total I put about $75,000 into our account in the last year
He also took the engagement ring back that was appraied at $45,000
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

All of that information can help a lawyer determine that you are entitled to a constructive or resulting trust. This is a complicated matter and you need to meet with a lawyer face to face to discuss your situation. This way you can be advised as to your rights and properly receive what is owed to you.

Do not sign anything without receiving independent legal advice.

Am I allowed into the house to pick up my things? I still have a key. Do I need permission?
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

As his name is ***** ***** technically it is his house and does not have to let you in. However, that is not a good move for him and he should let you in. It would be best to obtain his permission and do so in an email so you have the written correspondence.

Even though all my things are inside?
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

As he is technically the owner on title he does not have to let you in. I would recommend sending an email asking for permission before you go to get your things. You have a good argument that you should be entitled to go get your things but this is something that lawyers could argue over.

It is in your best interest to meet with a lawyer face to face and discuss your situation.

What do I do in the meantime until I can get an appointment with a lawyer?
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

you should communicate with him via email so you have documentation for everything. Send an email asking if you can go inside to retrieve your personal items.

If you call a lawyer today form the law society you should be able to schedule a consultation for early next week.

does it matter if he was seeing somebody while we were together?
does it matter if he is a police officer?
Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

No it doesn't matter if he was seeing somebody and it doesn't matter what his occupation is.

Again, it is in your best interest to meet with a lawyer. This is a complicated matter and you need legal representation to ensure that you receive what you are entitled to.

Family Lawyer: Brandon Ament,
 replied 2 years ago

Was my answer of assistance?

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor