How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101376
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a girl says she is pregnant with my child ... How do I

Customer Question

If a girl says she is pregnant with my child ... How do I get a dna test and custody
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Before I answer what do you mean about custody? Do you mean shared custody, are you asking about sole custody, are you asking access etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The possible mother and I are not on good terms ... I would very much like to be a part of my possible kids life
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Of course!

What you would do is ask the mother for a paternity test. If she refuses to grant you the paternity test then your next step would be to apply for a court order. You will get the order. And, you can ask for an order for your costs because she should not have required you to go to court.

Your rights with respect to the child are essentially the same as hers. The child is yours so you would have the same rights that the biological mother has tocustody and access. So it could be that you could have joint custody. If she does not agree your next step again would be to go to court to seek an court order. You would have to prove that what you want is in the best interest of the child.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.