Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

If a girl says she is pregnant with my child ... How do I…

Customer Question
If a girl says she...
If a girl says she is pregnant with my child ... How do I get a dna test and custody
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
2/26/2016
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Before I answer what do you mean about custody? Do you mean shared custody, are you asking about sole custody, are you asking access etc.

The possible mother and I are not on good terms ... I would very much like to be a part of my possible kids life

Of course!

What you would do is ask the mother for a paternity test. If she refuses to grant you the paternity test then your next step would be to apply for a court order. You will get the order. And, you can ask for an order for your costs because she should not have required you to go to court.

Your rights with respect to the child are essentially the same as hers. The child is yours so you would have the same rights that the biological mother has tocustody and access. So it could be that you could have joint custody. If she does not agree your next step again would be to go to court to seek an court order. You would have to prove that what you want is in the best interest of the child.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.