Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I am a 22 year old full time university student. I have very…

Customer Question
Hello, I am a 22...
Hello, I am a 22 year old full time university student. I have very little contact (text only) with my biological parents, due to a history of mental illness and abuse on their part. I am covered under their Alberta Blue Cross coverage, which is supposed to last me until I am either graduated my first degree, or turn 25. Due to their high level of income, I am not eligible for any financial aid or assistance.
They recently informed me that they have set my health coverage to expire in April of this year. I will not graduate until April of next year. They are unwilling to change the paperwork. My question is, should I have to obtain my own coverage, with the cost being quite significant, is that something I would be able to take to small claims and ask them to cover? Seeing as I should technically be covered anyway.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this,
David.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
2/20/2016
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Who told you that they will not cover you after April and why are they choosing that cut-off?

In terms of the financial assistance have you made it clear to the government and/or university that you don't have any ties with your parents?

Also, how many years ago did you graduate from high school?