Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My father appointed my sister and me with an equal 50/50

Customer Question

My father appointed my sister and me with an equal 50/50 share for his power of attorney for finance.
Would I need to be notified or have to sign off on a document if he later changed the POA, thereby giving my sister 100% of this POA? I believe he was of sound mind at that time.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You should be provided a notice about this. There is no formal notice but your father certainly should tell you if he revokes the POA and does a new one because otherwise you would have no way of knowing and may act under the POA if necessary.

You do not have to sign off on it as this is something that is entirely up to your father.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.