Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

Can a 17 year old in Ontario leave home if she wants to?

Customer Question
Can a 17 year...

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

She is my stepdaughter and doesn't live with us - and we think she should stay with her mother at least until she finishes her education, but she is refusing to go back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?

The situation at home does not seem to be good from what we are told - but we don't know what to do. My husband only has legal access, the relationship with his ex is not good and we don't live anywhere near her school so we'd have to find someone else to look after her until June if she really refuses to go back.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.

That's it?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
2/15/2016
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Yes she can.

In Ontario a child of 16 or older can decide where she will live.

But if she withdraws from parental control and leaves home against the parents' wishes she is no longer entitled to child support.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.