Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My wife left the house a couple weeks ago, Alberta She says…

Customer Question
My wife left the house...
My wife left the house a couple weeks ago, Alberta
She says she filed for divorce but I have not been served.
I want to trade in my truck and car for a newer truck, both our names are ***** ***** titles of the vehicles.
Is this something I should not do at this point?
The truck I use for work and get reimbursed for the lease.
The car was a gift to me 5 years ago from my wife.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
2/13/2016
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

You should not do anything with any assets at this point in time.

She has not filed for divorce.

She may have commenced an action but nothing can happen until you are served and then when you are you will have time to reply.

Unless you committed adultery or cruelty and are going to admit to it in a sworn affidavit she cannot get a divorce for at least one year since you just separated so something is not quite adding up.

Perhaps she has just seen a lawyer?

In any event, you cannot do a thing with a joint asset without her consent and you should not do anything with any assets until you have at least seen your own lawyer face to face but likely not until things have been worked out in terms of the assets.