Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I am living with my common law wife years and we own a house…

Customer Question
I am living with my...
I am living with my common law wife for 19 years and we own a house together. I have been seperated for 19 years but have no kids and no legal seperation. Do Ineed a divorce just in case when Idie my ex will get everything instead of the woman I am with now that I love?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
2/1/2016
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

What province are you in please?

Do you have any assets that you hold in your name and your former spouse's name as well?

I live in Ontario. I do not have any assets with my ex wife

You don't need a divorce.

The time has long, long passed for your former spouse to seek a division of assets.

She has no claim to your assets or your estate.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thank you so much. You have saved me alot of money and grief.

You are very welcome.

Take good care.