Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My daughter's husband has announced he is leaving but won't…

Customer Question
My daughter's husband has announced...
My daughter's husband has announced he is leaving but won't go for a few days and is doing damage in the house. What legal recourse does she have to get him out now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Family Lawyer: ulysses101, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

What province are they in?

The are legally married?

Who is on title to the home?

They are in BC, legally married and live in a housing co-op

I'm not certain about when the "matrimonial home" is a housing co-op. I'm going to opt out of this question, and another expert should pick it up. Please be patient.

Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

When the matrimonial home is in a housing cooperative it is the same as if there was a lease. That means both spouses have an equal right to possess the home. At the same time, no spouse has the right to damage the home and it would make sense for your daughter to call the police.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.