How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ulysses101 Your Own Question
ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3529
Experience:  Over 10 years litigation experience in family, criminal, and civil law
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I 't want my parents to see my kids anymore. Do

Customer Question

My wife and I don't want my parents to see my kids anymore. Do they have any legal rights they can push to see them against our wishes? The kids are under 3 years old, we are from BC Canada
Submitted: 1 year ago via LawDepot.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question Spencer.

Are you and your wife together?

Have you discussed this with your parents?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, yes, my wife and I are together, and we have not discussed it with my parents (actually just my father and step mom are who we are speaking about). We haven't discussed it with them, we are having a falling out at the moment. And we are only worried that if we tell my dad we aren't planning on seeing him anymore, and that we don't plan on having the kids see him either - that he might threaten to take us to court over it.
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I see. This can be complicated, and firstly let me tell you that you can't stop him from taking you to court if he wants to. Anybody can make application for access rights to any child.

However, I don't believe that a judge would order it because you two parents are still together. The court very rarely steps in to exercise it's jurisdiction over what's in a child's best interests when the parents are still together. When the family is a unit, the parents decide what is in the child's best interests. That includes what people the children spend time with.

So if they threaten you with court, that's a just a threat. They can try. You can't stop them from trying. But I don't think they'd succeed.

Does that answer you? If there's more to discuss then please reply with question or comment. If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything else about this to talk about, Spencer?

Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I won't pester you any further, but I'm here if you want to explore this issue further. If we're finished, can we conclude this thread?