Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

My wife and I 't want my parents to see my kids anymore. Do…

Customer Question
Hello, My wife and I don't...
My wife and I don't want my parents to see my kids anymore. Do they have any legal rights they can push to see them against our wishes? The kids are under 3 years old, we are from BC Canada
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
1/18/2016
Family Lawyer: ulysses101, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question Spencer.

Are you and your wife together?

Have you discussed this with your parents?

Hello, yes, my wife and I are together, and we have not discussed it with my parents (actually just my father and step mom are who we are speaking about). We haven't discussed it with them, we are having a falling out at the moment. And we are only worried that if we tell my dad we aren't planning on seeing him anymore, and that we don't plan on having the kids see him either - that he might threaten to take us to court over it.

I see. This can be complicated, and firstly let me tell you that you can't stop him from taking you to court if he wants to. Anybody can make application for access rights to any child.

However, I don't believe that a judge would order it because you two parents are still together. The court very rarely steps in to exercise it's jurisdiction over what's in a child's best interests when the parents are still together. When the family is a unit, the parents decide what is in the child's best interests. That includes what people the children spend time with.

So if they threaten you with court, that's a just a threat. They can try. You can't stop them from trying. But I don't think they'd succeed.

Does that answer you? If there's more to discuss then please reply with question or comment. If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Was there anything else about this to talk about, Spencer?

I won't pester you any further, but I'm here if you want to explore this issue further. If we're finished, can we conclude this thread?

Ulysses