How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 99934
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have problem in sponsorship of my wife to canada...can i

Customer Question

i have problem in sponsorship of my wife to canada...can i get a help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Please provide me with specific facts and your specific question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** a lawyer hired since july 2015, she was too slow in reviewing my papers because basically i couldn't get my marriage cert. until late in august...even though, she kept sending asking me informations which could be known quickly and more efficiently over a phone and could save me much much time...but she kept asking what she wants over phone , and leaving me to her freaking answering machine....untill very lately when i found that there was a new bulletin that proxy marriage won't be considered as a legal marriage in canada since june 2015...and i did have my marriage cert done through a deputy...its because of my work obligations that i can't take more leaves being in m medical field,,, and because my wife is syrian nationality.. and she can't get to any place so easily.. so we did the marriage in beirut...and i had my friend as a deputy...but only yesterday i read that bulletin and my lawyer response was only sorry i thought you were actually there the time of marriage cert.!!!!
i don't know what to do,....but the only thing I'm sure of is to draw my case back from that lawyer who wasted my time and cost me a lot
just wondering whats my options now?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking about how to do it the lawyer or about how to proceed with the sponsorship?

Have you ever lived with your spouse? If so, for how long?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had engagement party, and i had a full month of our wedding or you could call it the honey moon,
I'm travelling again next month, she's living abroad, and out of her country as well.. I'm just worried that she's living alone, and in that current terrible situation for her country,,,
I'm asking how can i proceed further?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping you could sponsor her as your common law spouse.

But as you cannot sponsor her as your spouse you can sponsor her as your conjugal partner.

That application can be made if you are in an interdependent relationship and cannot marry for some legal or immigration related reason.

So that is your best next step.

I suggest you either ask your lawyer about that or perhaps get a second opinion from another immigration lawyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one lawyer did recommend if i do a new marriage certificate in the country where she's staying now
i wonder would that be helpful when i submit my sponsorship application?
would attesting my already proxy marriage be useful?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

If you can you should go through a formal marriage ceremony and then you'll be legally married.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it the marriage certificate signing on or the ceremony which considered to be the legal marriage and not proxy?
just wondering if attesting the old marriage certificate would be enough?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I don't believe attesting the old marriage certificate would be enough.

You would need to go through a marriage ceremony with an official who can marry you.

Related Canada Family Law Questions