Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian Family Law Question? Ask a family lawyer.

Canada Family Law

Was involved in five year old daughters life, until my

Customer Question
partner was involved with someone...
Was involved in five year old daughters life, until my partner was involved with someone else, and they moved out of province. She is no longer with this partner, and has now moved back to Manitoba. She is filing for child support, along with back pay from the time she moved out of province with her partner, which is five years. I had no contact with my child in those five years. My finances did not allow me to hire a lawyer, and I am currently paying off a lot of debt she left me by purchasing a great amount on my credit cards. I have been paying this off the last five years, since she left with my daughter, and was not going to file for bankruptcy, as I want to get a good credit rating again. I also have a two year old daughter with another partner. I am paying child support for her. Do I have any rights with not paying back pay for the five years my daughter was taken out of province. I understand, and want to support her now that she is back in Manitoba, but I would also like to be involved in her life, like I was before they left.
Thank you for your time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like a response by email. I work nights and sleep during the day, so I will check when I am not sleeping.
Thank you
1/8/2016
Family Lawyer: ulysses101, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question. Have you been served with court papers regarding support, then? What else is your ex asking for in a court order?

Have you discussed any of this with your ex? In particular, resuming your seeing the child regularly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been sent by mail request for my taxes files to determine my income for child support. I have not received a phone call from my ex, and don't even know where she lives. There has been no talk about visitation rights.

That's unusual. From whom did you get the request by mail? Was it a lawyer, or perhaps someone from the welfare ministry?

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor