How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101435
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife left me over a week ago and I did not find out until

Customer Question

My wife left me over a week ago and I did not find out until last night as I have been out of town for work for the last month and she did not inform me that she was moving out as she did not want to hurt me while I was away. She tells me that she has spoken to lawyer who will be delivering me legal separation papers tomorrow or the next day that she has told me really only stipulate that she get to keep our dog. I still love her and knew we were going through a rough patch, but I expected that we would be attending couples counselling when I returned from work. I am just curious if there is any way for me to make part of our separation agreement that we need to attend a month or two worth of couples counselling. I really need advice on this as soon as possible as my wife spoke with a lawyer a week ago without letting me know and I am apparently going to be receiving this separation agreement tomorrow or the next day. Thank-you very much
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You certainly can tell your spouse that you are not willing to consider a separation agreement or anything else at this point in time because you first want to go to couples counseling.

But no matter what you receive tomorrow, you cannot possibly consider signing it without getting your own lawyer. You need independent legal advice to know if what you are being asked of is fair.

Family law is very complex and when people are in a position where emotions run high they cannot possibly make decisions on their own without legal advice.

I'm very sorry this happened to you but please be sure not to be rushed into anything because you are in shock. In fact, nothing can happen during this time because most lawyers are already finished work for the holidays so I suggest you tell your spouse that you will see your lawyer after the new year if necessary. Actually, I would be shocked if the letter you got didn't tell you to go see a lawyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much for the advice. All i am really hoping for is that some couples counselling will be possible here
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

I hope this works out for you.