How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100424
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is in a Grade 9 catholic school. This past

Customer Question

My daughter is in a Grade 9 catholic school. This past Thursday she received intense instruction regarding abstinenceI do ot approve of the speaker they had, his comments on his website are very sexist, misogynist and misandrist. I thought I was supposed
to be contacted underNew Alberta Government Legislation section 50.1 of the act.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You are correct. You should have been provided with notice and then you could have provided the school with written notice that you wanted your child to miss that speaker and she would have been excused from hearing the speaker.

The school has breached the Act.

I suggest you speak to the principal at once to find out how this happened and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to sue the school for damages? I really want attention brought regarding this speaker and his covert beliefs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our catholic school board has been running a muck for years.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You can sue for damages if you can prove that your daughter did become harmed by attending the talk. I don't think that will be easy to do. You would likely need to have a psychiatric report of some sort or other expert testimony.

If you want to bring attention to this I suggest that you consider going to your elected school trustee and/or going to the media. You are clearly in the right and The school has to be held accountable. Schools can't break laws that are designed to protect students.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke with the school principal, and he apologized for the speaker. The principal was not at the lecture. He was told from various teachers that it was not appropriate. I mentioned to him Section 50 of the school act. He didn't even acknowledge that part. That I needed to be informed prior to this being discussed. He didn't seem to be aware of this information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My elected school trustee thinks that Transgender is a mental disorder. He was actually quoted saying this a couple of weeks ago. He is very old school and not helpful at all. The ECSD board is in lots of hot water with our Province and are receiving assistance. Our province has actually hired a consulting company to help them.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Then you can either let this go or else go to the media.

But given the principal apologized maybe there is not much of a story here anymore.

But make sure the principal agrees about notice to the parents in the future.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am really puzzled as to what happened. I was told that you closed your post without rating me. I don't understand. We were going up and back and I thought you were satisfied. I am very concerned. Can you post back and explain to me what happened? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billing issue. You were fine.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Can you please rate me then so that my stats are improved.

Even an OK rating will work.

Thanks and take good care.

Related Canada Family Law Questions