Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My babies father left when I was 7 weeks pregnant. My son

Customer Question

My babies father left when I was 7 weeks pregnant. My son just turned 1 year old. His exes gave me a lot of problems during my pregnancy and I had to file a domestic against them. I was worried about the downfall I would continue too take if I pursued for child support payments but I got thinking that it is for my son. My ex has never tried too see us or be around. If I file for child support can he change his mind ask for rights to my son. He isn't on the birth certificate
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

He has the same rights to your son whether or not you receive child support and whether or not his name is ***** ***** birth certificate.

As a biological father he has set obligations whether he likes them or not and whether he sees your son or not. He is required by law to provide you with child support for your son.

At the same time he can seek an order at any point in time for custody or access. As time goes on it will be less and less likely that he would be able to get custody or joint custody but it is quite likely that he would be able to get an order for access visits to your son because it is rare for a court to cut off access rights.