How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100407
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in common-law all the time. we have two child .we

Customer Question

we live in common-law all the time . we have two child .we file our tax return as a family every year,but my driver license is different to my husband for over 3 years now.if anything happen we want to separate , am i his wife? am i protected by law.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

What province is this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are u there?? are we talking here?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I am still here. But I am not a computer generated response. I am a person and can only type so quickly and you're not the only customer that I have to help.

In Ontario, common-law spouses share some but not all of the legal rights and obligations that legally married spouses have. Common-law spouses do have spousal support rights and obligations. However, common-law spouses do not have property rights.

Your most assuredly are considered common-law spouses based on the fact that you have lived in a marriage like relationship and that you have children together.

So, if your spouse has been supporting you, at least to some extent, then it is likely that you'll be entitled to spousal support.

If the children live with you for at least 60% of the time you will also be entitled to child support based on the federal child support guidelines.

Your next step should be to consult with the family lawyer face-to-face.

Related Canada Family Law Questions