How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 99931
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About 12 years ago I married a woman from Tashkent,

Customer Question

About 12 years ago I married a woman from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. We were married in Tashkent. My home was in Olds, Alberta. When all the legal procedures had been satisfied, she and her young son landed in Alberta, Canada while I was away at work. She was
never heard from again. I had contacted the police and was informed that she was ok but didnt want to be with me. It was an obvious scam. Now I am wanting to marry again but I do not know if I am still married to this woman or not. If so how can I get divorced
not knowing where she is?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are still married to her because you didn't get divorced. So you have to apply for the divorce now. You have to take all steps possible to find her. If you cannot find her then to serve her you will have to get an order for what is called substituted service. What this means is that you have to prove to the Court that you tried your best to find her and if you can prove that then the Court will allow you to serve her through an alternative way, such as serving her family, advertising in the local paper etc. But, you do need to be able to show your efforts to locate her or the Court will not consider your request.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is it normally accomplished to try to find someone that doesnt want to be found? What efforts would satisfy the court?
She had all the marriage documents and I have nothing at all. I have no recollection as to the marriage date. Is there a way to find this information?
I have no idea what name she is using or where in the world she may be.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You can apply for a marriage certificate online. You can send letters to family and friends, search on social media etc. But given your facts I doubt the court will demand much from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For years I have periodically attempted to locate her through social media and such.
Her family resides in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. I do not know the address's.
Again, I do not know which name she is going by or what part of the world she may be living in.
Any and all information that I did have about the woman is long lost by having to replace computers several times over the years.
Is it possible to request marriage certificate information without me supplying appropriate information myself?
Could you advise me as to what course of action I could take to accomplish this?
Is there a way to find out if she herself might have applied for a "Substituted Service" divorce from me?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You use this form and supply as much information as possible to get the marriage certificate: You would go to the courthouse closest to you and apply for a search of a court file number with your name on it. If the file exists you can then get a copy of the divorce judgment or get a divorce certificate.

Related Canada Family Law Questions