How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Maven Your Own Question
Law Maven
Law Maven, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 164
Experience:  Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Law Maven is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a draft family settlement agreement. I fail to see this

Customer Question

I need a draft family settlement agreement. I fail to see this concept in Canadian family law. Is it correct?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Law Maven replied 2 years ago.
Hello – my name is***** am a Canadian lawyer, and I’ll be happy to help with your question today. I assume you're looking for a draft Separation Agreement that would set out the terms for everything involved in ending a relationship including -- if needed -- getting a divorce. Unfortunately you will not find a draft that works for all of Canada as the rules for separation agreements are often provincially determined. If you search on a provincial basis you're more likely to find something suitable. Or, if you let me know what province you're in, I can see what I can find. That said, there are also books that contain sample separation agreements ... typically on sale at places like Staples or any big bookshop. They can be useful for discussing the terms you will want in the agreement, but I would recommend against using one without consulting with a lawyer at some point. In my experience it's a lot more expensive to sort out the type of problems that can be caused by a bad agreement than it is to pay a lawyer to write a good one. Finally, as an option between hiring legal counsel and using a standard template there are services online that will take your information and return you a personalized agreement. These services are relatively new, so I have not seen any instances where one of those agreements needed to be litigated. That means it's impossible to recommend for or against specific services as there is no external way to check quality. Two such services you could look at are or I hope I have fully answered your question, but please do not hesitate to ask for more information if needed. If you do require more information, please let me know what province you and your ex are living in. When you are satisfied with the answer, kindly provide me a positive rating so I can receive credit for my answer.My answer here contains only general legal information and not legal advice. No solicitor/client relationship has been created by this communication.