How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101435
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My common law partner and I have ended our relationship. We

Customer Question

My common law partner and I have ended our relationship. We are in Alberta, and resided together for just short of 3 years. He got divorced during this time as well, and we were engaged to be married this August. We have already come up with our Agreement for the few items he has agreed to compensate me for, and I want a simple written agreement done between us. I was on title of the home we lived in, which was his previous matrimonial home, but I came on title when we re mortgaged. I have signed off on all the net proceeds of the home, as I am a Realtor and have sold the property, and am just taking a commission on the property. I just want this to be simple, and a concise agreement but not sure what to use.
Submitted: 2 years ago via LawDepot.
Category: Canada Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also should add we were very intertwined financially i have stock holding of his in my name, and I just want this to be clean and simple, but also binding so he can't try and not pay me the amounts we have agreed upon.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
There is no need to pay $10,000 for a simple separation agreement when there are no issues in dispute. However, at the same time, it is vital that one of you retain a lawyer to draft the simple agreement and then the other spouse must take the agreement to his/her own lawyer for independent legal advice. As you simply need the very most basic of separation agreements, there is no way that this should cost you any where near $10,000. You don't need an expensive or very experienced family lawyer to do this for you. I suggest seeing a family lawyer who has not been practising for very long and getting the agreement done quickly and simply. independent legal advice for a simple agreement will not cost very much at all. I know you were hoping that I could come up with a solution that does not involve retaining lawyers but, as a senior family lawyer, I have to make it clear to you that it is dangerous not to have lawyers deal with such a vital legal document.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should have been more specific.. His corporate lawyer wouldn't touch our already agreed upon terms without saying they want full financial disclosure and everything from both parties before proceeding. So what I will do is draft up the terms make an appointment with a local family lawyer get it put into a legal agreement for Chris to review and sign in presence of his lawyer. And be done with it.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
That is fine. It is totally acceptable to do that this way and a corporate lawyer has no knowledge of family law in any event.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you :)
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.