Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

I am a very recently retired professor from the University

Customer Question

I am a very recently retired professor from the University of Toronto. I divorced in 2009 and the divorce court order requires me to name my ex-wife as the survivor pension beneficiary. At retirement, on June 30 of this year, my common-law partner qualified as my spouse as we had been cohabiting for just over three years. Because my ex-wife was not my spouse at retirement the university refuses to recognize her as my pension survivor beneficiary. Can you please illuminate my position and give me some indication of which takes precedence in law, the Provincial benefits and pensions act or the specific court order which directs me to name my ex-wife as beneficiary.
The situation is further complicated in that my ex-wife has a professional job which will give her a partial pension when she retires, whereas my spouse is a complete dependant on me for support and I would like to ensure that she gets some sort of income following my death.
Many thanks for any helpful advice that you can offer,
T.J. XXXX
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Have you provided the pension plan administrator with the judgment?