How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100480
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married years wih 2 children and my wife

Customer Question

I have been married for 11 years wih 2 children and my wife wants to separate from me. One of the problems I have is that we scheduled to be moving into a new home being built in November, from the existing home we own.
My wife said that she wants to move into the new home with my kids and have me move out to an apartment. I told her that this is not fair since our homes were mainly due to my income.
I would like to suggest to her that we sell the home in November and split the profits of that house, to pay off debt that we accumulated as a couple and then sell the home we are currently in at a later date and split the profits from that one as well.
We can then move to our own homes after these are both sold.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
What province is this please? Whose name is ***** ***** be on title for the new house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The province of Ontario
The title will be in Both my wifes and my name
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
There is no reason at all for your spouse and kids to move into the new house and you live in an apartment. That would not make sense for you and as the house is just being built I am sure it is worth way more if it is sold brand new. There is no way that a Court will grant your spouse the right to live exclusively in this brand new house unless she has the means to buy you out. So it would undoubtedly be best to try and resolve this amicably and try and sell the house at once. It is not prudent to try and deal with this on your own so I strongly suggest that your next step should be to consult with a family lawyer face to face and to do so before making any decisions, changing the status quo in any way or making any further offers to settle.

Related Canada Family Law Questions