Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

Divorced in 2001 with 3 kids now 24, 21 and 18. And have never…

Customer Question
Divorced in 2001 with 3...
Divorced in 2001 with 3 kids now 24, 21 and 18. And have never received one child support payment and have never asked. I raised those kids on my own. Am I still able to collect back payment
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
7/1/2015
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Why did not you not apply for support before now?Are an of the kids in school full-time? What province is this please?
First 4 to 5 years he was in and out of jail so couldn't really do anything then after that just didn't want the fight. My eldest daughter is now RCMP my eldest son still attends university .we live in BC
It is not likely that you can get a retroactive payment. At the very most a court will go back three years and that is possible but you would have to show good reasons why you left this for so long. If a child lives at home when not attending school and attends school full-time you may be able to get support for this child. So you may still be able to get some support and can seek an order going forward and at the same time going back. It also may be the case that the father will be afraid of an order for a large amount and so may agree to something. It would be best , as your next step, to consider retaining a lawyer in BC to write the father a letter, demanding support and threatening a lawsuit. You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25. The number is(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.
Thanks
You are very welcome.