Canada Family Law

Have a Canadian family law question? Ask a family lawyer.

I made a agreement with my x wife to keep paying child support…

Customer Question
I made a agreement with...
I made a agreement with my x wife to keep paying child support after they were 18 years old because she was not working, she said she would pay me back when her mother would die. Now she refuse to pay me back. The children were not in school when they turned 18.
We did not put are agreement in writing but she did talk to one of the children about it.
I payed support from 1998 to 2008 and her mother died in2013,the children turn 18 in 2000 an2001.
Do I have a chance to recover my money?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Family Law
6/12/2015
Family Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
What province is this and when exactly did her mother die? Did you learn of the death when she died or later on?
Quebec
When she died
But when exactly did she die in 2013?
February 2011
Sorry Wrong answer. February 2013
You can sue the estate.
The limitation period for suing is three years in Quebec in most cases.
I suggest having a lawyer in your city review the facts and send a demand letter at once.