How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Joint divorce do both parties have to be in alberta or

Customer Question

for a joint divorce do both parties have to be in alberta or can one just sign the papers and the other file
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Both parties do not have to be in Alberta. But, both parties do need to sign the joint application and then only one party needs to file the application. The other approach would be for one party to apply for the divorce, have the other party served, and then the other party would simply ignore the papers and the applicant would note the other party in default. Let me know if you need any other clarification.