How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101396
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am still married to my husband. We have been

Customer Question

Hello, I am still married to my husband. We have been separated four years. He has been living with someone for three years. They have bought a house together. He and I are not legally separated or divorced. Can they become common law? Can this effect
my rights at all with regard to finances? Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
What province is this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
They will be considered common law spouses if they have a child together or if they live together for three years.
This does not affect your rights.
The spouse would not have a claim to any of your assets and would not affect support rights or obligations.