How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116713
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm looking in to getting a passport daughter and I

Customer Question

Hi I'm looking in to getting a passport for my daughter and I'm unsure of the steps to take. My boyfriend and i want to take her to Mexico. And i need some help on what to do about her real dad.
I went to court in august 2012. I was granted everything but we have shared decision making and he gets reasonable parenting time. But after court he never did anything to see her or support her. Then in October of 2014 he started sending me letters wanting to see her. So i let him call and talk to her. He also stated sending money he only sent me a total of around $800 in 4 years. I said if he wanted to see her he would have to come to her. Well long story short he never showed up any of the times he planned. So should i try to talk to him to sign the papers or should i fight in court.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The first step should always be trying to talk him into signing to obtain the passport. However, if he refuses and because he is delinquent on support and has not regularly seen the child, if you did have to go to court and ask the court for an order to issue a passport the court will issue an order that you can obtain a passport without his signature to be presented to the passport agency.

Related Canada Family Law Questions