Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

I receive Child support and Special expenses from

Customer Question

I receive Child support and Special expenses from my children's mother. The Chief Justice Final Order stated the payments will end for my oldest son when he graduates university. My son has graduated university. My children's mothers lawyer sent me a letter suggesting a new Court Order be rendered on consent to reflect the changes. Is that a necessary legal expense to incur or can FRO just stop collecting expenses for my oldest son?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
The FRO can be told that you no longer want them to enforce the order. But the worry is that you will change your mind and seek to enforce it so that is why, out of a sense of caution, the lawyer is advising the mother that the order should be varied on consent and so it should be. If not they will bring a motion and you will be stuck with their costs because there is no need to argue this motion.