How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100049
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MY ex is trying to keep away my stepchildren who I have raised

Customer Question

MY ex is trying to keep away my stepchildren who I have raised full time for nine years. She has an existing custody order with their biological father. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
What province is this please?How old are the children?Are you asking about access or joint custody?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the two stepchildren are 12 and 14 and want to see me. I am asking about both access and joint custody. Also have two biological children

Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
At their ages their wishes will be given considerable weight by a court.And considering they were raised by you for most of their lives and likely have little or no memories of life without you they would be harmed if they suddenly lost you. You will be treated just as any biological parent would be treated by the court. So if she won't agree with you or to mediation then your next step should be to retain a family lawyer and start a court application for joint custody.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, would you recommend I share this answer with her or would that just be volatile?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
I don't think you should do that.I suggest that you take a more forceful approach and have a family lawyer send her a letter stating that she needs to retain her own lawyer at once as you are not going to tolerate having these children harmed.

Related Canada Family Law Questions