Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My ex and I divorced in 2011, we had been married 30yrs. My

Customer Question

My ex and I divorced in 2011, we had been married 30yrs. My ex wrote up our separation agreement the year I left him in 2007. (I waited until our 2 children were adults and on their own). He did not want me to retain a lawyer and we thought we could amicably split everything. This is what we did and our divorce went through April 2011. He actually lowballed the value of our home and gave me 1/2 of this amount. He offered me $7K in exchange for me not asking for 1/2 his pension. I refused and had to threaten getting a lawyer to get him to give up 1/2 his pension. I stayed home to raise the kids, which is what he wanted. I wasn't building my own pension, so needed this to survive my senior years. A week ago, I found out that he just sold a property that he had kept secret from me since getting the property in his name in the 1990's. My question is, do I have any right to 1/2 of the value of this newly sold property? I also want to say he does not give me spousal support either. Thank you, ***** ***** (*****@******.***)

Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Yes you are entitled to half of the property as it is matrimonial property.This is actually fraud and it would be grounds to having the separation agreement set aside which appears to be unfair to you based on what I am inferring from your post.As well, you clearly did not have independent legal advice.For these reasons your best next step would be to consult with a family lawyer, as soon as possible, in your city,