How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100964
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have been separated years now divorcing he

Customer Question

My ex and I have been separated for 8 years now divorcing he has never paid child support yet ilopened up a business would that be considered matrimonial property because he used his child support money to start up the business? I live in alberta
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Assets shared after separation are not shared.Child support is a separate issue.I don't know why he has not paid the support but you can seek to enforce the order now and that way he would have to pay you for all the years. If there was no order then you should be seeking one now but the court will not go back more than three years at the most.Your getting divorced now has nothing to do with support. It was owing from the time you separated if the child was living with you. Your getting divorced now has nothing to do with the calculation of the division of assets. That is based on when you separated and now when you are actually divorcing.