How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 100008
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying child support for the last 15 years without

This answer was rated:

I have been paying child support for the last 15 years without a court order. I have two daughters, one turned 18 last year and I've continued to pay support for an extra year as my ex spouse told me she was still going to school. I have ask my ex spouse to provide progress reports or a report card as proof and she hasn't. I was told it was none of my business. My other daughter has turned 18 also but has a mild disability and will remain living with my ex spouse. I feel my ex is making the wrong choices for my childrens future. what can i do?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Thanks for requesting me.

As your daughters are 18 custody no longer applies as they are adults.

So there is really nothing you can do about these decisions.

But in terms of support, a child no longer has the right to be supported after she turns 18 unless she attends school full-time.

And for sure you are entitled to proof of full-time attendance in school.

So, if you don't get that then support can stop at once.

If your other daughter is not attending school full-time but cannot become financial independent then you may need to support her.

But at 18 she would also be entitled to disability benefits from the government and when she gets those that may be enough support for her.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Legal Ease and other Canada Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!

Related Canada Family Law Questions