How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what if common law parter after 7 years leaves when you are

Customer Question

what if common law parter after 7 years leaves when you are away can this be used in court for settlement
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Law.Hut replied 5 years ago.
Which province do you live in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Law.Hut replied 5 years ago.
There are no automatic rights to property division in Alberta for common law spouses. It is not like a legal marriage.

It possible to sue for a division of property but this will e be based on the actual contributions made by one spouse to acquire or increase the value of an asset held in the name or possession of the other spouse. The division is not an automatic 50 per cent, but limited to the increase in value of an asset as result of contributions proven by the non-owning spouse.

So it will not matter in assessing what contributions were made as to who left the relationship or why the relationship failed.

Related Canada Family Law Questions