Canada Criminal Law

Have a Criminal Law Question? Ask an Expert.

I would like to know Are sports betting winnigs are taxable…

Hello My name is***** would like...
Hello
My name is***** would like to know Are sports betting winnigs are taxable in Canada or not?
For example i do online sports betting as professional and get 3000 Canadian dollars every month from bookmaker. Do i need to pay taxes as Canadian resident and citizen?
3/8/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello. Ok I am Here

Yes you do have to declare this income for tax purposes and pay taxes on it just as if it was any other kind of income.

This is your line of work and you are earning a lot of money on this. It's not as if this was a one time thing.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you provide a document where it says please?
How much % i have to pay?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you just give me an example? For instance i get 100 000 thounds CAD per year how much will goverment take?

Sure. Try this:

https://simpletax.ca/calculator

You have to input your province and then fill in what applies to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What if i have 2 citizenships one Canadian and one Maltese. For example all my incomes come to maltese bank but i live in Canada. Do i still need to pay taxes?

It is not about citizenship. If you are a resident of Canada you have to report your income from all sources world wide.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also i would like to know about law where it says that i have to pay taxes.
Is it this .12 An individual’s gambling activities may result in taxable business income or a business loss. This will be the case if the gambling activities constitute a source of income (that is, carrying on the business of gambling). Determining the commerciality of gambling can be challenging. Games of pure chance, like lotteries, lack the badges of trade to which the traditional tests of business activity can be applied. Traditional tests to determine the existence of a business include an evaluation of a taxpayer’s profit-making purpose (that is, pursuit of profit) and the commerciality of a taxpayer’s activity. However, gambling is always undertaken in pursuit of profit. This was addressed in Balanko v. M.N.R. , [1981] CTC 2977, 81 DTC 887, where the court stated that gambling with a view to profit is an intention, “shared by all who gamble, and the presence of the intention to win or make money in gambling, which is there in all who gamble, does not lead to a conclusion that all who gamble, or even all those who gamble frequently, are carrying on a business.”
or what?
Could you explain me please?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not about citizenship. If you are a resident of Canada you have to report your income from all sources world wide.Could you explain me please? I am actually a Russian citizen planning to study in Canada for one year. I know that i have to pay taxes in Russia. But i dont understand about Canada

This is what I was addressing. If you are a professional gambler then it is your line of business. It is how you earn your income.

If you go to Vegas for a stag and win a small fortune you do not have to report it as it is a one time thing.

Some cases are not clear but honestly yours is crystal clear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still here?

Yes and I answered your last post two minutes later.

I said

This is what I was addressing. If you are a professional gambler then it is your line of business. It is how you earn your income. If you go to Vegas for a stag and win a small fortune you do not have to report it as it is a one time thing. Some cases are not clear but honestly yours is crystal clear.08/03/2018 02:20
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No no
I mean about
08 March 2018 10:18It is not about citizenship. If you are a resident of Canada you have to report your income from all sources world wide.Could you explain me please? I am actually a Russian citizen planning to study in Canada for one year. I know that i have to pay taxes in Russia. But i dont understand about Canada
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you here?

Yes. Just one minute please

You don't have to pay taxes in Canada if you are on a study permit unless you work in Canada.

So you can work for 20 hours a week off campus after 6 months of school. Any income you receive then you would have to report.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i still cannot understand why i have to pay canadian taxes if for example i have a maltese passport also. All my operations will be in Europe not in Canada. I just would live in Canada. As far as i know in Malta gambling is non taxable
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you here?

As I've said before it has not a thing to do with citizenship.

If you are resident in Canada you pay taxes on world wide income less but you do get foreign tax credits for taxes paid elsewhere.

If you are not a resident you pay tax on any money earning in Canada. If you are an employee it will be deducted from your paycheque.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. But for example i live in Canada for 2 years like a Russian citizen. So i am not a resident of Russia and i have to pay here 30% and i need to pay in Canada also?
or how it works?

If you are resident in Canada ( a legal permanent resident not a student under study permit) then you must report income from all sources world-wide.

If you earn income in Russia and pay tax you will not face double taxation but will get a foreign tax credit for any taxes paid in Russia.

If you are a student and employed in Canada you will pay tax on that income only and not on your world -wide income.

If is the law and very clear. It is not at all a grey area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. May i ask you a question about Australian taxes?

I am a lawyer in Canada and I don't know a thing about Australian taxes. I am sorry about that.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. Thank you for a consultation.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi
It is me again. I have investigated my taxes
Could you tell me please is offshore online sports betting legal in Canada?

Please start a new post for that question.

If a criminal lawyer doesn't answer I will answer soon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
One question about Canadian taxation poped up in my mind. Will i have to pay for this or it is the same question? I am asking only about taxation

I can answer about tax here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it for free? like additional question?

It is free if it is a follow-up question to this post.

If it is not you have to post a new post and start again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. It is me.
If i as Russian citizen live in Canada more than 183 days in calendat year i become a canadian resident. I would like to know if during that time i gamble on offshore web site but i do not request my winnigs on my bank account so it means that i have to pay taxes when i get back home?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For example i live 275 days in Canada and during that time i do sports betting on offshore web site but i do not request my Winnigs than i come back home for 90 days. When i come back home i still Canadian resident or i become russian resident?
I mean where i have to pay taxes??

You are a Canadian resident unless you sever all ties from Canada.

If you are a Canadian resident you report income from all sources world-wide.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if i leave Canada for 90 days?

Yes. Leaving for a while has no relevance.

But this isn't about gambling winnings so I have to stop. If you want to take about becoming a non-resident for tax purposes please start a new post.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.I understand

Good luck.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer