Canada Criminal Law

Have a Criminal Law Question? Ask an Expert.

The police have charged my common law boyfriend with 1

Customer Question
The police have charged...

The police have charged my common law boyfriend with 1 counts of domestic violence and 2 counts of mischief under $5000. Any way I️ can help get the charges dropped. He needs a clear record for work???

Lawyer's Assistant: Because civil law varies by state, can you tell me where this is?

Barrie Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No the police said I️ didn’t have to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if I️ can help him out of this in any way

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Criminal Law
11/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Do the counts of mischief relate to the domestic assault?

He broke my iPad and 2 iphones

I am a senior lawyer in Ontario and am going to give you an accurate and also honest answer. There is not much likelihood that they will agree to drop the charges. You didn't charge your boyfriend. The police did and that is because they had reasonable grounds for believing that these offences occurred and the Crown believes that the court will convict your boyfriend.

You can certainly tell the Crown that you are not afraid of your boyfriend and that you would like the charges dropped and perhaps your boyfriend can say he wants to take an anger management course and/or go for therapy.

But really that is all you can do. It may help your boyfriend letting the Crown know this but you really have no say.

I wish I could have given you a more optimistic answer.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer