Canada Criminal Law

Have a Criminal Law Question? Ask an Expert.

Is lying about infertility illegal

Customer Question
Is lying about infertility illegal
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Canada Criminal Law
My ex says that they are taking me to court under statutory rap because of it
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: ulysses101, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

Can you tell me more about what's going on?

Your ex is saying you lied to him/her about your own infertility, and thus they can have you charged with statutory rape?

I just need to know if lying to ur sexual partner about that sorta thing is illegal

It might be under some circumstances.

Tell me more about what happened please. Don't use details that can identify anyone. We're anonymous here, so don't be afraid to open up.

Well for two years I did this thing I read online that causes temporary starelness and I told her I starel after she told me she was on she was on the pill then she got pregnant but she oborted the baby now over 6 months have past and we were together up until about a month and half ago but now she sent me a message saying how she’s going to the police

How old are each of you?

I’m 17 she’s 18

And how old were each of you when you first had sex?

I was still 17

Well, you're within a year of each other so that's not rape even if you're minors.

Lying isn't an element of rape. She's obviously upset with you and is trying to scare you.

On these facts, there's no grounds for a rape charge. I don't think you need to worry about it. Of course, she could say that you physically forced yourself on her, but that's a whole other issue.

Is there anything else about this to discuss? I hope you're feeling better about it. I'm here if there's more to say about it. If we're finished may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get paid by the site for helping its customers.

But she says she coming after me because of the Lying about being infertile

If she calls the police to try to have you charged for lying to her, the police won't do anything about it. She's saying that because she's trying to scare you and upset you, obviously.

That or she really believes that she can have you charged by saying you lied. But if she believes that then she's mistaken.

I won’t have any legal fall back

Not on these facts.

Anything else?

I'd like to move on to other things this morning but I don't want to leave you hanging.

Is there anything else about your topic that you'd like to discuss with me? If so then please reply. If not then may I please have a rating now?

Would/will the police question me

No, since there's no basis for a criminal charge if she complains to the police that you lied about being sterile.

People lie about whether they can conceive pretty regularly, for their own reasons. Primarily because they don't want to use birth control. If she blames you because she got pregnant when you said you were sterile, that's not a crime. If you have sex there's always a chance of pregnancy no matter what precautions are taken.

She’s said she’s charging me with statutory rape by deception, emotional trauma and she also says she has more directions she can go but won’t tell me what else

If she wants to contact the police she's free to. However, from what you've told me there are no criminal charges which the police will lay on you.

I know what you want, which is for me to tell you that I guarantee that the police won't believe her and that you'll be fine. But I can't promise that. No one can, because no one can control what she will say to the police. If she's really out for your blood, she'll tell the police all sorts of things about how you raped and abused her, and then you'll get that call.

And this is a risk in any relationship I'm afraid.

Any new developments or news? Anything more specific to discuss?

Anything new from her?

Went to the police and they said she has nothing but I did a report to cover my ass if anything does end up coming up

A report about what? That she threatened to have you charged?

The officer said it fell under harassment and theats about faulty accusing me of rape which a girl just got arrested for doing the same thing

It's possible that she could be charged with harassment or mischief. However she'd have to do a lot more of what she's been doing, and the police would give her a warning first.

I got 3 different phone call death threats from her friends after the police warned her what do u think I should do about that cause I know these guy and they will do something

Call the police about them too. Death threats are absolutely deserving of a criminal charge.