Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

A neighbor's son (between 12 and 15) exposed himself to my

Customer Question

A neighbor's son (between 12 and 15) exposed himself to my children girls 10 and 12. I reported to the police 2 days ago.
I followed up yesterday and have been told that the officers who responded to the case have not able to contact the neighbor and are now on leave and will return to work sometime this week and no other office can be assigned to the case. What are my options with the slow police response and how do I protect my children especially since when I called the station to follow-up I was told even if the kids who exposed himself is a sexual offender the police wont be able tell me. What can I do to protect my children, does the law allow sex offenders to live next door to young children?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

The information you are asking about is confidential. No one can every tell you about someone's record and the sexual offender registry is not open to the public. But you are talking about a minor and so that is not a real concern.

The concern is that this will happen again and so for now you can keep your kids away from the yard and follow-up in a couple more days to see if the officer is going to follow-up at once.

If you don't get some satisfaction by Friday I suggest asking to speak to a supervisor and make it clear that you are not allowing the children to play outside in their own yard as you are afraid of a re-occurrence.

Does that help a bit?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are there any restrictions for juvenile sex offenders. So is it a possibility that my only option is to sell my home and move or live next door to the sex offender and hope he doesn't do it again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rewrite:Are there any restrictions put on juvenile sex offenders. So is it a possibility that my only option is to sell my home and move or live next door to the sex offender and just hope he doesn't do it again.

There are plenty of restrictions and frankly if he were registered as a sex offender he would have already been arrested.

So that is not the case.

If he had a record at all they would have already waited for him or gone to his school and arrested him.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?