How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 100410
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away almost 8 years ago and my step-dad

Customer Question

Hi there. My mother passed away almost 8 years ago and my step-dad that she was married to bought an urn for himself and an urn for me and my sister with my mom's cremated remains split up between both urns. A few years later my step-dad passed away. I have tried contacting the woman he was living with at the time of his death to ask her for the other urn with my mom's ashes. She has ignored all of my messages. I have also reached out to his mom and a few of his friends. Same thing they are not responding about it. I have a terrible feeling that they were thrown out like garbage. Is there anything I can do to figure this out? I just want my mom's urn. It's a terrible feeling knowing that part of her is in some unknown place that she does not belong. And if they were disposed of is there any way I can receive compensation for this loss? I thought it was illegal to throw out human remains.Thanks , Holly
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am saddened to hear of this terrible situation. It is heartbreaking in fact.

They are being disgusting by not answering you.

I suggest that you consider retaining a lawyer to send them a letter demanding the give you the urn by a deadline you set and threatening a lawsuit.

The letter can say that if you have to go to court you will seek an order that they give you the urn or else seek damages if they threw it away as well as your legal costs.

The ashes may not have any monetary value but they emotional harm you will suffer if they have thrown those ashes out is considerable and you can likely get compensation for that.

Does that help as a starting point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That does help.thank you very much. I hope I can find a lawyer and that it won't cost me a ton of money.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

A letter from a lawyer will not cost a lot.

If you have to sue you would sue in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far you can post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Related Canada Criminal Law Questions