CriminalLawyerTO
CriminalLawyerTO, Criminal Defence Lawyer
Experience:  After articling at a boutique criminal defence law firm, I started my own law practice, focused on criminal defence.
70961067

I just wanna know how many months will he do cause he got

Customer Question

I just wanna know how many months will he do cause he got 24months in prison
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Its in canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes but he doesn't remember
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: He went to court on may 18 so he got 24months in prison and he was in jail since November 23 2015
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: OK sure
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not sure as well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many will he do cause he went to court on nay 18 and he got 24months in prison
Expert:  CriminalLawyerTO replied 1 year ago.

If he received a sentence of 24 months jail, then (barring reprehensible behaviour while in jail), he will be eligible for statutory release after 2/3 of his sentence. In other words, if he acts fine while in jail and doesn't re-offend therein or otherwise act of very bad behaviour, he'll be released after 16 months. Furthermore, he'll be eligible for parole after 1/3 of his sentence. This means that if he is of very good behaviour and taking rehabilitative steps in jail, he could be released as early as 8 months in jail.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was in since november23 2015 and he went to court on may18 2016 and got 24months in prison so that mean will be released before that?

If the Judge said 24 months LESS time served, then he will likely get about 6 months of pretrial credit at 1.5:1, so 9 months off. HOWEVER, if the Judge took the pretrial credit into account already and after taking it into account arrived at the 24 months, then no further time would be subtracted for that aspect.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you very much