How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 100487
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens if u are ordered to pay restitution in the

Customer Question

What happens if u are ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $ 800,000 2 yrs after u Hv finished a 2 yr jail term? He was told by the judge if he didn't pay it he would return to jail to finish his sentence. My husband is a 67 yr old man. His chances of doing that are slim to none. He was incarcerated for theft & fraud. He was up against one of the 3 top wealthiest men in Canada. If he files bankruptcy will that help & make it go away.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
If he cannot make restitution he can apply to the court to seek to vary the order based on undue hardship. If he can prove that it is impossible for him to make restitution it is possible that the court will agree.Bankruptcy will not affect this in anyway unfortunately.I'm sorry you're in this difficult situation.

Related Canada Criminal Law Questions