How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 100942
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Several weeks ago I was involved in an altercation at

Customer Question

Hello, several weeks ago I was involved in an altercation at a local bar (fight) where I was actually attacked as I was trying to leave and ended up in a physical altercation. The rcmp were called and I was briefly detained but after they got witness statements etc. they determined that I was not the instigator or aggressor and I was promptly released with no charges of any kind pursued against me. Now I recently went to go into a different bar in a different town and I was flagged on their "bar watch" system and was not allowed in. They scanned my Id and a picture of me appeared and there was a couple sentences explaining that I got into an altercation and police were involved and not to let me in. I play in a band that gets hired to play in bars all around bc and I need to be able to get in. So my question is how do I get myself removed from the bar watch system? I have read a few articles that say the bar watch program is illegal and breaks privacy laws yet I can't even find out how to contact them. For the record I should state that I am not a gang member, I have NO criminal record of any kind, I have never been charged with any criminal offense and this is the first and only altercation I've ever had at a bar. Any help is much appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
Did you ask them how to get off the list and did you tell them the police did not charge you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I cannot find any information on them to contact. When I Google it I only get different news stories but no direct contact or website
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
But did you speak to the owner/manager of the bar?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did attempt to sprak with the manager but he said it was out of their hands now and i had to contact bar watch directly. The brief research I did and reading of blogs and threads there is apparently no known way of getting off the list. It also read that the whole program is actually illegal and a violation of privacy laws/rights? But regardless I can't seem to find a feasible way to get off the bad list
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
I cannot speak on the phone. The rules of my Law Society prohibits that as you are not my client. Should I continue or opt out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pls continue....i must have accidently pressed somethong
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
I suggest that you retain a lawyer to send the owners of bar watch a letter demanding that they remove your name from the list, and threatening a lawsuit. As you perform in bars this can affect your livelihood and your reputation. They are not a judge and jury and in fact in your case the RCMP determined you were the victim. So you could sue them successfully and in fact they are pressing their luck because there could very well be a class action lawsuit against them. In fact it may be a good idea to consult with a larger law firm that might take this on as a class action lawsuit. I know you cannot find contact information for them but the lawyer can do a corporate search. What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and usetheir Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyerand can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.The number is(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.Here's the link to their website:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.