Canada Business Law

Have Canadian Business Law Questions? Ask an Expert.

About 4 weeks ago, my husband wanted to pick his pull up…

About 4 weeks ago, my...
About 4 weeks ago, my husband wanted to pick his pull up diapers by himself at Costco. He has brain injury and multiple cracks at his back and ankle since car accident in 2015. He has been sick for long time.By the time we're ready for line up, a cashier just shouted to start a new opening. My husband was standing right next to that new line, so he asked me pulling the trolley to his side. However, that cashier stopped my husband lining up the first one, she asked an Indian customer to be the first, and told my husband to be the second one. She said that Indian guy has lined up sometime, my husband was just happened to stand next to the new line, so he should stand after this Indian guy. My husband was on fire at that moment, he turned pale and started shaking. Due to his brain injury, he's not normal, so I asked the cashier stopped arguing with him. I also mentioned about his brain injury problem, but she didn't realize that it could be very serious on him. She kept on arguing, and paging her manager to the floor, but my husband was shaking vigorously. His face turned pale like paper, there were several customer calling 911. Luckily, I got the medication with me, so I gave him the pills before he collapsed on floor. By the time the ambulance arrived, his bp was coming down to 185/114, if there's no immediate medication, his BP could skyrocket.Since that Costco episode, my husband's health was going further down. He looks like Skelton because his body weight drops fast. I was told by several doctors that such high BP could massively damage his vital organs, and it's irreversible.I just wonder is there any mistakes on my husband's side? Does Costco owe him at least a sincere opologize? For a normally healthy person, it's very minor, but for my husband, he could lost his life.
3/7/2018
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am so sorry to hear that.

Was she actually right that the other customer had been waiting longer?

And did she hear you say he is disabled and to stop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That Indian guy was waiting at the other line, it's quite crowded at that time. The cashier just picked anyone at the middle of the line. He's just at the middle of the line.
I told her that he's not normal, "don't argue with him". By the time she saw him collapsed and shaking vigorously on floor, she said, "In sorry". I asked her to get out of his sight right the way. I think she did disappear.

Do you believe she deliberately disregarded what you were saying or did she stop only when he collapsed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think she didn't realize that it could be disaster. It's uncommon for normal person react like that. I complained this to my husband's visiting nurses, they both believed that customers are always right, even it's for normal healthy clients. It just happened that my husband couldn't tolerate any negative comments due to his health issues.

I don't think you could sue successfully. But I do think Costco should provide you with an apology and I am sure they will and likely give you gift card.

I believe that if this went to court the court would say it was your responsibility to ensure your husband wasn't placed in these types of situations and a check out person at Costco could not foresee this happening.

Do you see what I mean?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer