Canada Business Law

Have Canadian Business Law Questions? Ask anExpert.

Canada Business Law

Can an insurance company legally deny an auto insurance

Customer Question
claim if the policy holder...
Can an insurance company legally deny an auto insurance claim if the policy holder and registration are in different names?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Canada Business Law
1/8/2018
Business Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

What province are you in please?

Are you saying when the policy holder insured the car they told the insurers the car was theirs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ontario. Two cars, Both different primary drivers. All drivers listed on the car that live at home.

Right, but did you tell the insurance company that you don't actually own the second car?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they said ownership has to be changed.

I am not following.

One car is in your name. One is in another adult's name who lives in the house.

You insured both cars.

Is that all correct?

At the time you got insurance for the second car did you tell them that you are not the owner of the car?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Policyholder is my brother. He owns one car, the other is owned by my mom. We are all listed on the cars as drivers, and told them the ownership is different on one.

So your brother told them that he didn't own your mother's car and they agree to cover both cars anyway, on his policy?

And if so then how can they be denying the claim now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said the name on the other car ownership has to be changed to the policyholder at first.

And your brother didn't do that? So now they are saying the car was not insured?

If that is the case why didn't your brother do that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not in that situation now, but im just saying if it did happen in the future, what could be the outcome? I plan on selling the car soon. Its just my mother is hesitant to switch it to his name

I don't believe her car is covered.

She doesn't have to switch the car to his name. But she has to get her own insurance.

The insurance company will not cover someone's car on a person's policy.

So either both cars have to be in your brother's name or else your mother needs her own insurance.

It goes well beyond your mother getting in an accident. It is illegal not to have the car insured and I don't think it is.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a statue preventing them from denying a claim with different policyholders?

It's not about a statute. It's about the simple fact that only one's own cars are insured under one's policy.

So I don't see how that car can be insured.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer