Canada Business Law

Have Canadian Business Law Questions? Ask an Expert.

Do I need written permission to use other name in your own…

Do I need written permission...
Do I need written permission to use other name in your own autobiography even if the book does not have anything that is defaming , libel or slander. The book is plan to be published from Canada in Spring 2018
The books uses real life events with people in my life including family.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/2/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

If you are asking for a call then you have to click on the call button.

Please let me know how you would prefer to go ahead.

Thanks

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Phone call session started

There is no ownership in a name or even in an image.

You may write and publish anything you like so long as what you are saying is true or your opinion.

So by way of example you can say "I have always believed my sister is dishonest." But you cannot say "my sister is a thief" unless that is true.

You do not need permission to use their names in the least bit and if they sue you they will lose and get stuck with a good part of your legal fees.