Canada Business Law

Have Canadian Business Law Questions? Ask an Expert.

I started a new technology business in 2009. In 2010, I

I started a new...

I started a new technology business in 2009. In 2010, I recruited a business coach and in 2012 I found out he had stolen my IP, business plan, contacts (Intl) and started his own business and as I was advised, even redirected a Gov't grant to his company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is this about an invention, a design, or an artistic work?

No, I started a new tech water/wastewater business in Alberta, opened in NFLD with a complete NFLD business registration, consultants, Govt backing (Danny Williams), (the business consultant was out of Ottawa),

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No, nothing has been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I will answer any questions as required

11/27/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you asking about suing him for something that happened back in 2012?

If so why have you waited so long to try and address this issue?

Hello Debra;
I may answer your ‘wait’ question in time, but mostly embarrassment and lack of knowledge. I hired a business coach during a time of need and I was advised that our contracts with the NFLD Govt had failed and the Williams Govt had folded in April 10 and no election until Oct. I had paid a consultant to write a grant application and all communication stopped and my business coach stopped work as all was supposedly lost. I returned to Alberta to try to recover. The coach supposedly left for employment in B.C. Two years later I perchance saw a picture on FB of my equipment on display at the Calgary Oil Show under a name my business coach had tried to get me to use. Then I started getting calls from the grant writer wanting his commission on my $59K grant (which I had never received). Then I found out my coach had gotten all financial support from his multi millionaire father in law. Plus the person in Alberta that was rejected by our board had joined the coach and was in charge of Intl business. I broke down when all my supporters, consultants and provincial intelligence advised me of a a very stealthy plan to steal all my knowledge, Intl business contacts and potential J/V’s and used all my IP to start/run his mirror model company. In the past while I have been diagnosed with cancer (including this morning) and Dr’s feel it has been brought on by stress. I have an extreme amount of proof, but have tried to restart the business without the cash flow that I had back then. I’m just an honest man that had a retirement dream born of my experience in the Arctic and oil sands.
Paul J Carron.

But you did actually discover the wrong doing back then, in 2012, correct?

It's not that you just discovered it now is it?

I am so saddened to hear of your health concerns.

No, I discovered the tip of the iceberg back in 12, but didn’t know the scope of the damage until much later when friends informed me of the planned seduction as he was the son in law of my wife’s x sister in law and runs a business coach business out of Ottawa here and owned 1 or 2 big furniture stores on Rideau St. I found out later that he had just gone bankrupt and was hiding tons of art work from the bankruptcy. This was a “best laid plan” and I didn’t/couldn’t see it coming. And of course being half assed family I didn’t make him sign ND/NC’s as I trusted him.
This whole issue has torn me to pieces over the past few years, and now according to the doctors the stress has brought on cancer three times and today was worst diagnosis. I am supposed to start chemo very soon at QCH cancer clinic.
Deb, if this beyond you or you don’t feel a winnable case, then I thank you for you time and kind comments. I’m sorry I let it go so long, but I believed and have tried ever since to restart the business but I lost my wife over this, my investment and RRSPs, now my health. My friends say I am the most determined man they have ever met. Maybe dumb and dumber is a better analogy.
Paul J Carron. I saw the $79 fee and will pay if you want to go further.

Being trusting is not being dumb.

But here is the real problem now and I am just not sure you can get around it. The limitation period for suing in Ontario is two years. And the limitation period starts when the claim has been discovered or could have been.

And no matter how we look at it I do believe this despicable person will be able to argue that you had to sue within 2 years of the discovery back in 2012.

To be able to sue now you have to show that you discovered the claim within two years of now. I just don't see how you can argue that.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thank you Deb, I thought same until a Toronto online Law Specialist stated that because laws have been broken including theft and quite probably fraud as I am positive he used my $45k business plan to attain the grant that I had paid for.
I think if you defraud the Govt, the long arm is beyond 2 years.
I’m not very computer literate, therefore I am using my phone and my email is***@******.***. (###) ###-####
Again; Thank you my friend.

Here is what I suggest.

Go see a lawyer face to face.

Bring in a list of what happened set out in chronological order.

Include when you found things out, when you felt harm etc.

Maybe a lawyer combing through the facts can figure out a way you can sue.

If they defrauded the government you can report this and you are right the government can go after them but that won't necessarily help you.

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer